Image Map

joy comes in the morning

Saturday, November 1, 2014

I woke up early this morning to clean up after a Halloween party I had at my place last night. We were supposed to have it up on my roofdeck. The forecast said it was supposed to rain, but I decided to be optimistic and give it a chance.

But as soon as we got everything up to the roof and everyone started showing up, sure enough, it started pouring.

So we took it all back inside and downstairs. The party was still fun, of course, but it was definitely a bit of a bummer.

This morning I was cleaning up, standing at my kitchen sink, when something caught my eye out the window. My whole body reacted - frozen, jolted, and darted somehow all at the same time up to the roofdeck to see this...
"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kinds on the earth." - Genesis 9:16
I can honestly say this is the absolute most breathtaking view of nature that I have ever seen with my human eyes in all my days. 

Photos do not do this sight justice. The colors of this rainbow - so incredibly vibrant. I felt as if I were walking into a painting. And the breadth of it - it spanned from one end to the other across the sky in all it's glorious splendor, touching down to kiss the treetops.

It truly took my breath away. I audibly gasped. And then I proceeded to snap a million photos.
I wished the whole world could be standing up there on that roofdeck with me, taking in this most incredible view, experiencing a small piece of the great wonder and faithfulness and beauty that God is, has, shows us.

This rainbow and the events of last night got me thinking.... sometimes in life we can be optimistic and hopeful, and things still won't work out like we had hoped.

Maybe you are going through a storm in your life - an illness, a loss, a heartache. Maybe you are hopeful and optimistic. Maybe you started out that way, but then the rains came and beat you down and you lost hope and faith just a little bit... or maybe a lot bit.

Unfortunately, we will face storms in this life. Some difficult, some devastating.

It's okay to grieve. In fact, it's healthy - both emotionally and physically - to release emotions to allow for healing. The Bible says, "Grieve, mourn, and wail" (James 4:9),"Jesus wept" (John 11: 35), and there is "a time to weep." (Ecclesiastes 3:4).

But have you ever noticed how after a big storm, a good rain, the sky is clearer than ever? I could see the landscape, the ocean, the mountains in the distance crisper and clearer than I ever have before. The morning after a storm brings refreshment unparalleled to any other.

The Bible also says, "Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom" (James 4:9) and there's "a time to laugh" (Ecclesiastes 3:4).

I love this song by Josh Wilson called "Before the Morning." My favorite line says:
"Do you dare, do you dare to believe that you still have a reason to sing? Cause the pain that you've been feeling can't compare to the joy that's coming."
If we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, we can have joy even in times of pain. We can sing through the hard times. 

He will walk with us through the storms. He will never leave or forsake us. He will bring joy in the morning.
Oh, and did I mention there was a double rainbow? :)
"In this place, desolate and without men or animals - in all its towns there will again be pastures for shepherds to rest their flocks." - Jeremiah 33:12
"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” - Revelation 21:4 
"For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." - Psalm 30:5 

No comments:

Post a Comment