Image Map

cauliflower mashed "potatoes"

Thursday, November 6, 2014

It's fall. Comfort food is a must. Compromising your health is not.

I love taking traditional comfort food favorites and putting my own healthy spin on them! These mashed "potatoes" are all the deliciousness of regular mashed potatoes and none of the digestive disaster - especially for all you fellow gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free peeps out there. 

I know I joke about my diet being "fun free" as well, but really - with simple substitutions - it doesn't have to be. You can have your cake and eat it, too! Or should I say your potatoes :)

Without further ado, I present to you:

cauliflower mashed "potatoes"
what you need:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 onion
- few cloves garlic
- chicken broth (or veggie broth)
- coconut oil (or olive oil)
- salt, pepper, dried (or fresh) herbs
what to do:
- rinse cauliflower
- chop (can be messy/doesn't have to look pretty)
- place cauliflower into pan
- add some broth
- cover with lid
- simmer on medium-low heat until cauliflower is soft
- meanwhile, chop onion and garlic
 - add to pan with coconut oil, salt and pepper
- sautee until golden brown
(You will probably use about half of these with your cauliflower. I usually serve the other half with another part of the meal - on top of a burger, etc.)
- place cauliflower & sauteed onion/garlic (about half) into your Vitamix (or blender/food processor)
- add a splash more broth (you can eyeball this. adding more as needed - depending on how thick you like them)
- season to your liking with salt, pepper, and herbs of your choice (I like a little oregano, thyme, and even some rosemary)
- blend
- serve
- let this warm, wintery goodness warm your heart and soul
Happy fall y'all! - M

No comments:

Post a Comment