Image Map

chairish.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Unique.

In our world today, there are many models... cookie cutter models that shape our society's view of things - fashion models (in regard to physical beauty), business models (in regard to the steps one "has" to take in order to achieve or succeed), and this list goes on.

In whatever regard, "unique" is something for which to strive. In your life... and especially in your home!

They say, "Home is where the heart is." 

Well, if your home has the potential to be a reflection of your heart - the things you love, a look and feel that comforts, uplifts, and restores you  and only you - then shouldn't your home be unique?
"Home is where one starts from." - T. S. Elliot
One way to ensure that your home is unique expression of you is to incorporate unique pieces. One of a kind flair. Vintage items.

Chairish (like cherish) is not only a clever name, but is a clever concept. Through this site, you can purchase unique vintage furniture pieces to create your own personal and unique sense of style in your home.

I have been asked by Chairish to participate in a "blogger exclusive" competition - to review some amazing and unique vintage furniture pieces, choose my favorites, and discuss why!

Here are my top picks!

french chair in new blue velvet upholstery
Okay, this chair is just adorable. It's like something straight out of Marie Antionette.
I just want to sit on it and eat all kinds of petite and decadent desserts while wearing a huge, fluffy ballgown and a fabulously restricting corset.
It's fancy, yet inviting. For the everyday princess.
"All glorious is the princess within her chamber; her gown is interwoven with gold." - Psalm 45:13

brass pineapple lamp
A black lamp. There's something unexpected about it.
I tend to go for white, light, or neutral lamp shades, but when I saw this one I was immediately drawn to it. Maybe it was its "unique" factor.
It reminds me that we all have dark places in our soul.
But rather than try to hide our darkness, we can use that very darkness to illuminate our light, to shine light in a more concentrated and direct manner.
Our light will shine even stronger because of the darkness in our lives.
And  it will be all the more powerful and all the more meaningful.
After all, without darkness, there is no light.

french gilded commode
This chest reminds me of a treasure chest, with its distressed yet preserved feel.
I want to store meaningful things in it... jewelry passed down from generation, beautiful journals with deep and profound thoughts on life...
I am reminded of one of my favorite verses, Matthew 6:20-21:
"But store up for yourself treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure it, there your heart will be also."

early brass bronze finish globe
Someday I want to see the world... to travel, to experience other cultures firsthand, 
to taste and see all they have to offer...
This bronze globe is so beautiful, so rustic yet polished.
Something about it reminds me of the "Old World" and Christopher Columbus.
Oh, to discover uncharted territory.
I have this vision of me closing my eyes, spinning the globe, dropping my finger, and saying, "Yes, I think I'll go there."
Someday.
But until then, I will seek uncharted territory in my everyday life.

vintage george nelson walnut spike wall clock
For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with the time.
I have worn a watch since I was in the single digits.
I love how this clock is natural, how there are no numbers. It reminds me of the "olden" or "ancient" days when they measured time - by the stars, the sun, the moon - not by a numbers on their wrist or on a bright screen in their hand.
The naturalism of this clock helps me relax...
it reminds me that we can measure time, but don't have to be ruled by it.
I've been working on slowing down this week, on taking time to stop and reflect, to take a walk, to not be so rushed...
I can be busy, but I don't have to be hurried.
"You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life. Hurry is the great enemy of spiritual life in our day. There is a difference between being busy and being hurried." - John Ortberg

I am learning that sometimes, yes sometimes, it's okay to just be.
I read a quote the other day that's been playing on repeat in my mind, a beautiful reminder of the nature of our souls:
"We are human beings, not human doings."

Life is full of metaphors. I see them all around. Little reminders of what's important, lessons to be learned, unique stories to be told. And what better place to find those than in our homes.
"The home should be the treasure chest of the living." - Le Corbusier 
And as you go out today, embrace your individuality, relish in the unexpected, look for the metahpors that are all around. And as you return to your home, take time to reflect, to appreciate your life, and to "Chairish" your uniqueness :)
"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." - Jane Austen 
"Home is the nicest word there is." - Laura Ingalls Wilder   

No comments:

Post a Comment