Image Map

when nothing is certain, everything is possible

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The future isn't always so clear in life. There are times of great uncertainty... Which way should I go? Which job should I take? Should I move here? Should I serve there?

There's a quote I love that apparently multiple people claim to have said first. And I don't blame them. It's profound and inspiring:
"When nothing is certain, everything is possible."
I snapped this photo the other day while riding my bike at the beach, but it wasn't until I got home that I saw this bird soaring through the frame. Free to roam. Free to soar. No set direction or agenda. Endless possibilities. Endless opportunities.
What a great, positive outlook to have. Instead of looking at our future with anxiety, let the uncertainty be an inspiration to us, a sense of overwhelming opportunity ahead, a great unknown.

See, the Lord has is all planned out. We just have to seek his face and take it one step at a time. He will reveal the path to us, his purpose for us. Just not all at once.

I know, I know. It's easier said than done. Tom Petty sings about it...
"the waiting is the hardest part." 
The in between times are the worst. I've been there, literally crying out to the Lord, "Okay, God. I'm here. I'm waiting. I'm listening. I will do whatever you tell me to do, I will go wherever you lead me to go. Just show up." 

And then He does.

And somehow I'm always shocked. But nevertheless He is faithful. He shows up. He leads me. He guides me. One foot in front of the other...

One stretch of open space into the next.

Paul was one of the most dynamic, passionate, risk-taking preachers in the New Testament. He used to persecute Christians, until one day on the road to Damascus, the Lord appeared to Him and he experienced a dramatic conversion, an overwhelming passion to turn from his ways and live his life for the Lord.

He devoted his life to doing so. But the following excerpt from my Bible in Romans really stood out to me, especially at this time in my life:
"Some years passed, though, before Paul found his role."
Huh. So even Paul experienced an in between time, a time when he was trying to find his specific role, his exact purpose, the steps he needed to take in order to make the most of his life and serve the Lord the most completely.

I can relate to that. Knowing that my ultimate goal is to be a light for the Lord. Knowing that I want to do so with the gifts He's given me. But not quite "finding my role" yet.

But then I am reminded, and comforted, by those oh-so-wise words...
"When nothing is certain, everything is possible."
I'm standing at the edge of endless possibilities. One of which is this. I hope to turn this possibility into reality. Endless opportunities await...

No comments:

Post a Comment