Image Map

taking a step in faith

Friday, July 18, 2014

Jack Johnson has sung about it...
"Don't let your dreams be dreams."
Denzel Washington has spoken about it...
"Dreams without goals remain dreams, just dreams, and they ultimately fuel disappointment." 
A Proverbs has been written about it...
"Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth." (Proverbs 10:4)
In life, it's easy to stay in a safe and comfortable place. It's easy to get complacent, satisfied with the status quo.

But if you think back to the most memorable times in your life, the times of greatness, were they not the times when you did something big, something scary, when you took a bold step in faith?
I've been developing an idea for a web series for a while now. Like well over a year. And while I enjoy writing the episodes, while I am excited about the project, it has taken me longer than I'd like to admit to actually make a bold move in creating it. 

I wondered:
- How will I ever get the right team together who are willing to work for no/minimal pay?
- How will we get the equipment we need?
- How will I get it edited on a budget and still have it look good?
- How will I get all the graphics, sound effects, and music put into it?

I think God often calls us to step out into the unknown before he works things out. After all, if we could see everything laid out perfectly before us, well, there wouldn't be a thing called faith.

In Joshua chapter 3, Joshua and his people are trying to cross the Jordan river, a huge, wide, vast, deep river. They knew where they needed to go, where the Lord was leading them, but they didn't know how they would get across. Oh, and they were carrying the huge Ark of the Covenant, too. But something crazy happened....

They put their feet into the water... and the waters stopped. The river dried up. And they walked safely across to the other side.

The Lord was faithful. But they had to act in faith. Sometimes God calls us to step into the water, to take that first step, before he will provide a way.
I don't know about you, but I've spent enough time waiting - for my agents to get me auditions, for people to hire me, for success to find me.

I have spent enough time waiting. I think it's time I take a step in faith.

I still have a lot of uncertainties about how my web series will pan out. But I have taken the first step. I have found a director and an associate producer. We have filmed a pitch video for Indiegogo to raise some funds to shoot the first two episodes. And already so many of the pieces are falling into place.

But are they really falling into place? Or is God putting them there?

I'd like to think the latter. I have been praying for God to work behind the scenes and help bring together all the right people and tools we need for this project. While there are still many unknowns, I'm taking that first step.

I am so inspired by this short speech Denzel gave to a group of young actors. In it he says:
"Between goals and achievement are discipline and consistency." 
"It's not how much you have; it's what you do with what you have."
I am in between my goal and achievement. I am disciplined and determined to make the most of the resources I have. Won't you help my dreams not be dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment