Image Map

handmade greeting cards

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Monday nights mean my girls Bible study. And occasionally Bible study means "Prayer and Potluck." And occasionally "Prayer and Potluck" means frozen margaritas in celebration of Cinco de Mayo while we make Mother's Day cards for our mommas.

That was this Monday night. I wish I had taken pictures, but I have to be honest - sometimes I just enjoy being in the moment 100% without the interruption and distraction of a camera.

But just picture an array of Mexican-inspired snacks and my dining room table completely covered with craft supplies.

I happened to be sitting next to my friend, Aubrey, who is a very talented artist. She is an accomplished painter, but one look at her handmade greeting cards and you can't help but think she'd be a fool to not open up her own Etsy shop just for those.

So naturally, I copied her adorable idea. Don't they say mimicry is the highest form of flattery?
These were so easy to make! All you need is:
- blank cards
- tissue paper
- scissors
- glue stick
- liquid glue
- glitter
- skinny Sharpie

All you have to do is:
- cut "petals" from the tissue paper, a tiny bit bigger than you want them to be
- glue them to the paper using a glue stick, crinkling the paper a bit as you do so
- put a small dollop of liquid glue in the center, sprinkle with glitter, then dust off
- take your Sharpie and write "mom" or "thank you" or "I love you" or "love grows" or something else simple and sweet

Well, my boyfriend saw my cards and asked if he could make one for his mom! So sweet! Because he is working this week, I offered to just make one for him to give her (which, if we are being honest, he was probably hoping I would do anyway!) But shortly after I promised to do so, I realized I didn't have a glue stick, liquid glue, or glitter here. All the girls had brought over supplies, and my personal supplies are quite sparse.

So, rather than break my promise to him, or go down the street to Papyrus and spend $6 on a card, I decided to improvise. I thought surely I could come up with something with the supplies I had. And I did! And it turned out so cute, I decided to make another thank you note as well!
Here's what you need:
- blank greeting cards
- colored paper/paper sack
- scissors
- tape
- skinny Sharpie/pen/marker

Here's how I made them: 
 1. cut "petals" out of paper bag

 2. arrange "petals" on card

3. fold tape in a circle and place on back of petals 

4. use your Sharpie to draw a dot in the center of your flower and write whatever you wish!

That's it! Moral of the story is you can make cute greeting cards from whatever you have at your house. The only think you need is the actual cards themselves! Sorry mom - your Mother's Day card won't be a surprise now, but I just had to share this idea! Thanks for the inspiration, Aubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment