Image Map

don't look back; you're not going that way

Thursday, May 15, 2014

A little over three years ago, I walked into Elise Joan's yoga class. Little did I know, this was no ordinary yoga class. Elise plays hip hop music and the class is highly "athletic." It was not the normal, boring, quiet, "om"-filled yoga I had tried - and never loved - in the past.

Needless to say, I was hooked.

I have been a loyal student of Elise's ever since that first class, often (sadly) planning my days around her yoga class. First world problems, I know!

One of the things I love most about Elise's class is that she always incorporates inspiring quotes, often giving the class a "theme" such as gratitude or love.

A theme that has really stood out to me, that I continue to think about over time, is the one of "don't look back."


You see, in yoga, it's all about finding a focal point. If you don't have a focal point - a specific point you have your eyes fixed on - you will fall over when doing standing balances.

If you have read my blog at all, you know I love metaphors. And yoga is often such a metaphor for life. I love this quote Elise shared:

"Don't look back; you're not going that way."
The author of this quote may be unknown, but they were certainly on to something. The thing about focal points in yoga - and in life - is that they have to be in front of you. They cannot be behind you.

Hebrews 12:2 says:
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and protector of our faith."
We often get so consumed with the past, our failures, our shortcomings... that we let that hinder our future. We allow that to put limitations on God and the possibilities of what He can do with our future... The possibilities of where He can lead us.

In John 8:14, Jesus says:
"I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going." 
Once again, God's ways are not our ways. His plans are not our plans.

But his ways are good, and his plans are perfect.

He knows where he's going. He knows where he's leading us. All we have to do is continue to look forward, continue to look to Him, continue to fix our eyes on Jesus - and he will steady our balance, he will make clear our path, he will guide our future according to his way, to his will, and in his timing.

I don't know where I am going. But Christ does. And where he leads, I want to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment