Image Map

auditioning, accepting

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

“I don’t fight for roles now. I’ve been to film school, so I have a certain understanding of what it’s like to be a director. When you cast films, you’re just trying to find the best person for the role. So if somebody doesn’t think I’m right for the role, I don’t want to force myself on that project.” – James Franco

As actors we face rejection almost daily. We hear ‘no’ a hundred times before we finally hear a ‘yes.’ It’s important to remember not to take it personally. You could give a perfect read, but you just aren’t the one for the part. One day you will be the one, but until then you just have to keep auditioning and enjoying it… After all, our job is auditioning. Getting the part is just the added bonus.

It's easy to want to submit yourself on every possible project that calls for your age range and ethnicity. But it's important to remember that everybody has their own type... I'm not saying you can't work on broadening the range of characters you can play. But especially as an actor who is just getting started in the business, I believe it's a waste of time for the actor and the casting director (and agent) if you are going in for roles that just aren't you... Until you are completely comfortable with specifically distinct characters such as the ones Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep can play, you aren't going to be fully in the moment anyway. Train now. Audition later. 

“I keep telling myself if I’m not feeling it on the page and I’m not excited about it, there’s no reason to put myself in that situation. But I will jump through hoops if I feel it’s in my wheelhouse.” – Jesse Tyler Ferguson

1 comment:

  1. As always, this post is beautifully written and full of insight. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete